Friday, February 11, 2011

Light Painting Part II

So a day or two after I finished the initial light painting of the RSX, I kept having an itch to try it again to get better results. I wasn't happy with how the car appreared to "glow" and looked too close to poorly done HDR. I figured that the glow was a result of the light source being too strong, so I took the Cobra LED torch and wrapped a piece of ordinary printer paper around it to diffuse the light a bit...a poor man's softbox, if you will.

I concentrated much more on getting each individual panel lit evenly this time so that there wouldn't be as many hot spots. I stayed about 5-8 feet away from the car and moved the LED torch in smooth, arcing motions. I also concentrated on getting dynamic shadows and highlights too, since that is what always catches my eye when I'm looking at studio shot images.

In post, I took a lot more time blending the panels together, keeping a close eye on all the shadows and highlights and taking time to remove any hot spots. Again, it was a very laborious process, but worth it in the end. I think that the end result turned out much better this time, and I will definitely use this method from now on.

The final result:

Second RSX Light Painting Attempt

A short video showing all the layers slowly being added to the final image. It's best to watch this in full screen so that you can really see everything coming together:



Hoping to do some rig shots of the RSX this afternoon if time permits. I'll be sure to post them up here if I'm able to shoot today!

Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment